User Pass

Forum > General Discussion > Music > Objectivity vs Subjectivity in music

Page:

Link
Do you think that some aspects of music can done objectively better than other ways of doing it? If so, if we had a perfect understanding of music what do you think these objective differences in quality would be like? Personally, I don't think any aspect at all (discounting number of people who buy it and other things outside the music of course) is objective.

“There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it.”
Man Ray
Originally posted by Catullus 16
had my first kid at 80, saw my first grandchild at 160.
Edited by RIP Al Davis on Apr 21, 2015 18:12:05

Link
It is all subjective
"When we can't fit a square peg into a round hole, we'll usually blame the peg - when sometimes it's the rigidity of our thinking that accounts for our failure to accommodate it."

Coyote
Link
Well, as one of the many musicians out there in the world, all I can say is it's getting pretty hard not to repeat stuff. Not so much 'plagiarizing' but simply the decades and eons of beats and styles and chord progressions has p'much been done somewhere, someway, by someone. Still... I enjoy trying to create and have gotten past the 'copycat' issue. If something I create ends up sounding like something someone else did 100 years ago, I'm not gonna freak.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_KY2CGGzkw
Originally posted by DigitalDaggers
wipety-wipe-wipe

Lead Mod
Link
Originally posted by Theo Wizzago
Well, as one of the many musicians out there in the world, all I can say is it's getting pretty hard not to repeat stuff. Not so much 'plagiarizing' but simply the decades and eons of beats and styles and chord progressions has p'much been done somewhere, someway, by someone. Still... I enjoy trying to create and have gotten past the 'copycat' issue. If something I create ends up sounding like something someone else did 100 years ago, I'm not gonna freak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAcjV60RnRw
I like turtles.

things!
Link
Originally posted by InRomoWeTrust

breaking musical permutations down to bits is so lol.

Admin
Link
Originally posted by InRomoWeTrust

Originally posted by Gart888
breaking musical permutations down to bits is so lol.

The more interesting part, is that not only is that every possible sound, that is every possible incarnation of data. At least, data the size of a song.

Not only is it every 5 minute conversation, it is every possible 5mb text file, every 5mb video, every 5mb cock drawing, etc etc.
Six inches of pure deliciousness...on a stick!
Edited by Corndog on Apr 23, 2015 01:03:12

Admin
Link
It is every 5mb of zipped versions of those files.
Six inches of pure deliciousness...on a stick!

Coyote
Link
Somebody's got WAY too much time on their hands. Anyways... it doesn't get it all. Consider recording of sound hasn't been around long enough in the overall history of mankind. Where's the caveman singing?
wipety-wipe-wipe

things!
Link
Somebody's got WAY too much time on their hands. Anyways... it doesn't get it all. Consider recording of sound hasn't been around long enough in the overall history of mankind. Where's the caveman singing?

one combination of those 1s and 0s would sound exactly like those cavemen singing...

things!
Link
well, way more than one actually... but the point stands

Link
Originally posted by RIP Al Davis
Do you think that some aspects of music can done objectively better than other ways of doing it? If so, if we had a perfect understanding of music what do you think these objective differences in quality would be like? Personally, I don't think any aspect at all (discounting number of people who buy it and other things outside the music of course) is objective.

“There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it.”
Man Ray

If two musicians are performing the same piece of music, one can be objectively better.
"my confirmation bias, so therefore"
-Lurchy

Link
Originally posted by Djinnt
If two musicians are performing the same piece of music, one can be objectively better.

One can objectively come closer to the original, but that's usually not the goal anyway. And on a side note the way in which that's better doesn't seem like much to brag about to me. That's the equivalent of a painter being a wannabe camera.

things!
Link
more like two painters trying to replicate a famous painting, and one looking more like the original.

Coyote
Link
Consider the song, 'All Along The Watchtower'. Originally written by Bob Dylan but the version that most know, and has sold most copies of, is Jimmy Hendrix's version. Then there's Dave Mathews Band Version as well, which is very good (IMO).

A debate for YEARS could go on about which version is the 'best'... and valid points could be made for all sides... leading to an argument without a true answer... except to the individual themselves. I could give you my take on it but I seriously doubt it would match up with a majority here... or anywhere else.
So, subjectively, it's an endless argument. But, objectively, anyone and everyone could easily dissect this one single song... and the various versions of it... and draw enough general conclusions to say Hendrix's version is the best (since it's a world view instead of a singular person's view).
wipety-wipe-wipe

Link
Consider the song, 'All Along The Watchtower'. Originally written by Bob Dylan but the version that most know, and has sold most copies of, is Jimmy Hendrix's version. Then there's Dave Mathews Band Version as well, which is very good (IMO).

A debate for YEARS could go on about which version is the 'best'... and valid points could be made for all sides... leading to an argument without a true answer... except to the individual themselves. I could give you my take on it but I seriously doubt it would match up with a majority here... or anywhere else.
So, subjectively, it's an endless argument. But, objectively, anyone and everyone could easily dissect this one single song... and the various versions of it... and draw enough general conclusions to say Hendrix's version is the best (since it's a world view instead of a singular person's view).

I think a key point is the fact Hendrix wasn't trying to sound anything like Dylan. That wasn't something he was trying to do in the slightest. His cover is effectively a new song in itself as far as I can see.
Page:

You are not logged in. Please login if you want to post a reply.