User Pass

Forum > FAQ's, Player Guides and Game Help > Getting fooled on Play Action

Page:

Link
Yeah, everyone we played (as well as ourselves) was probably 80% run, so we played more like safeties than corners.

Link
Originally posted by rabidlizard24
I am a high school coach and defensive coordinator, played safety in college...as well as a pro arena DB coach. On none of those levels are DBs taught to look at the backfield in a man situation. If you are playing match man outside leverage maybe, but man coverage no. The quickest way for a DB playing man to get beat is to take their eye off of the lower neck or belly button of the receiver. In zone coverage or match man your head should be on a swivel from receiver to backfield but in man it never should. My team on here literally just got beat by this lol.

I am also a HS DB coach and you are correct. I have no clue what others are talking about and makes me doubt their experience if on a straight m2m assignment they believe a CB should have their eyes in the backfield. Defense is auto giving up 50+ points a game that way
Leader of the D'Haran Empire. "Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours."

Link
Originally posted by atlbruce
Yeah, everyone we played (as well as ourselves) was probably 80% run, so we played more like safeties than corners.

Yeah that isn't football anymore
Leader of the D'Haran Empire. "Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours."

Link
Well, it certainly was in west Texas in the early 1980s, lol! And we didn't give up 50+, and I can count the number of times I got burned deep on one hand.

Link
I said corner, but meant WR... basically what rabidlizard24 said was what I was taught outside of trying to keep my peripheral on the QB. I hated playing strong side corner and I was a much better Free Safety.

Link
Originally posted by Myrik_Justiciar
I said corner, but meant WR... basically what rabidlizard24 said was what I was taught outside of trying to keep my peripheral on the QB. I hated playing strong side corner and I was a much better Free Safety.

Yeah as a CB it has to be on your man or you'll get torched in today's game, but safeties generally have a little more freedom and responsibility. I agree...SS is the absolute position that is the most fun to play in my opinion. You get to do it all there and you get a little more running room and can kill folks.

Link
Originally posted by rabidlizard24
Yeah as a CB it has to be on your man or you'll get torched in today's game, but safeties generally have a little more freedom and responsibility. I agree...SS is the absolute position that is the most fun to play in my opinion. You get to do it all there and you get a little more running room and can kill folks.

Most fun is QB Playbooks was never so easy as they are now. U can run like a chicken and make DL mammoths look silly. Every single rule protects U. U can troll every1. U can shout at every1. U can hit every1 and no1 can hit U back cuz rules. Happy QB pass sport.

Link
Originally posted by Myrik_Justiciar
I hated playing strong side corner and I was a much better Free Safety.

Yeah, when those big linemen come chugging your way on a sweep, it's not a good feeling.
Edited by atlbruce on Jun 18, 2019 13:50:58

Admin
Link
Originally posted by atlbruce
Yeah, when those big lineman come chugging your way on a sweep, it's not a good feeling.

As a former OT, blocking little defensive backs was literally the highlight of my night.

I loved running a counter to my side and just getting to fucking destroy a linebacker.
Six inches of pure deliciousness...on a stick!

Link
Originally posted by Corndog
As a former OT, blocking little defensive backs was literally the highlight of my night.

Ugh. Bastard.

Admin
Link
To be fair though, a lot of my time was spent chasing around you little shits with a slim chance of actually catching you, so I think the couple payoffs a game is worth it. And when not doing that. I was usually chasing around some little shit DE while pass blocking.

There was only like three games my entire HS career that I got to play against a bruiser DE. And that was glorious. I mean, it was generally a poor choice since they never made a single play all game, but I got to get to the good part of football without dealing with the bad part. Full contact with minimal chasing.

Admin
Link
Oh, and there was one CB blitz in one game over the 4 years. This little guy had some mojo, sprinting full blast, I step in front of him, hits me square on, and knocks himself off his feet. It was hilarious.

Link
Yeah, with pulling linemen, I would get off the WR block (usually pretty easy), then run toward them, with the ballcarrier peeking over their shoulders. I would turn my head and my eyes and take a step inside, like the ballcarrier had made a cut, and this would usually draw the behemoth upfield, so that I could then get behind them and hope that the ballcarrier would at least trip over me as I tried to tackle him. Trouble was, this only worked once per guy.

Link
Originally posted by Corndog
To be fair though, a lot of my time was spent chasing around you little shits with a slim chance of actually catching you, so I think the couple payoffs a game is worth it. And when not doing that. I was usually chasing around some little shit DE while pass blocking.

There was only like three games my entire HS career that I got to play against a bruiser DE. And that was glorious. I mean, it was generally a poor choice since they never made a single play all game, but I got to get to the good part of football without dealing with the bad part. Full contact with minimal chasing.

IRL Snowy Plowder???
H A W A I I ☢ B U L L S

Admin
Link
Originally posted by o The Boss x
IRL Snowy Plowder???

Pretty much! But more pass blocking because we ran 5 wide like...70 percent of the time that I played. Our QB was the only real athlete on the team.
Page:

You are not logged in. Please login if you want to post a reply.