User Pass

Forum > General Discussion > Bass fishing anyone?

Page:

Link
I've spent a lifetime fishing for walleye and will fish for musky a few times a year. I've caught smallmouths on rockpiles when targeting walleye and a handful of smallies and bucketmouths fishing musky bucktails or topwaters but I just recently started targeting largemouths on purpose because my son is infatuated with a YouTube show called Googan squad.

A local lake has a lot of bass and I went out with a couple of my kids yesterday and we caught 19 largemouths in about 4.5 hours just casting in weed beds and weedlines, only one was under a pound and the largest was about 4 pounds but I now understand what all the excitement is about bass fishing. I always considered bass fisherman to simply be people who are unable to walleye fish but since the walleye bite gets slow during the summer and musky fishing can be unpredictable, bass seem like a fun option, especially with kids who just want to catch fish.

Anyone have any other tips on being more successful? We fished on a hot and humid day, right in front of an over night storm front using the skirted bass jigs and soft plastic crayfish.
Do bass typically hang out on the shoreline weed beds or can you pick them up on the sunken islands or sand bars and weed beds in the middle of the lakes as well? I know walleyes seem to favor the middle of lake structures. I am also wondering if the really big bass are similar to musky in that you try to find weed lines and rock piles that are adjacent to deep water or if you just find bass everywhere there are weeds because we did pick a couple of nice bass up in areas of the lake where there was no structure or depth changes and just plain weed beds.

I'm not a fishing newb but definitely a newb to bass fishing and the bass I've caught before now have been accidental bonus fish.

Coyote
Link
One of mine is still on a wall down in Florida. Caught it near Mt. Dora in the lakes/channels/swamps that are all around there. 15.2 pounds on a jake spinner with a frogtail on an old Zebco with 20 pound test line. I was about 11 at the time. That hooked me although I was pretty well hooked on fishing anyways.
If I was just trying to get started I'd check out either B.A.S.S magazine or try this link; www.bassmaster.com

Hope it helps. I was an early subscriber back in the late 60's, early 70's and stayed a member until I joined the military. Generally a lot of quality info by guys more addicted to it that you or I.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_KY2CGGzkw
Originally posted by DigitalDaggers
wipety-wipe-wipe

Admin
Link
Haven't been bass fishing since I was young. Mostly went catfishing, with some saugeye fishing every once in awhile. Bass fishing just takes too much effort. I much prefer the fishing that is more akin to "sitting near a pole and drinking".

Plus our local lake was mostly overstocked with crappie and understocked with bass. Spend all day casting, and catch one bass.
Six inches of pure deliciousness...on a stick!
Edited by Corndog on Jul 2, 2020 04:35:11

Link
That's a hog of a fish Wizz, thanks for the info

Link
Originally posted by Corndog
Haven't been bass fishing since I was young. Mostly went catfishing, with some saugeye fishing every once in awhile. Bass fishing just takes too much effort. I much prefer the fishing that is more akin to "sitting near a pole and drinking".

Plus our local lake was mostly overstocked with crappie and understocked with bass. Spend all day casting, and catch one bass.

We are different, I appreciate the extra effort. That is why I love to fish for walleye and also because they are delicious. I get my bottle bass when we river fish and the river is 400 yards from my house

That being said, I am not going to have a good day if I take a boat load of kids out and catch one fish.

Admin
Link
Originally posted by Cowpoker
We are different, I appreciate the extra effort. That is why I love to fish for walleye and also because they are delicious. I get my bottle bass when we river fish and the river is 400 yards from my house

That being said, I am not going to have a good day if I take a boat load of kids out and catch one fish.

I don't know. Most of my best memories of fishing are sitting there half shitfaced late at night around a fire, then hearing the clicker go off on a pole, everyone scrambling to see if it's theirs and gathering around while someone fights a 60 pounder, everyone working together to get the thing up over the river bank in the pitch black.

Walleye are delicious, though. We only had saugeye locally, still pretty damn good. One of the few kinds of fish I actually like. They're mostly just trolling though, cruising around on a boat with your line in the water.
Six inches of pure deliciousness...on a stick!
Edited by Corndog on Jul 2, 2020 05:26:29

Sancho
Link
It's been awhile since I went bass fishing...Probably since I was a kid. I do a lot of trout fishing these days. Just like Corndog, I like to sit back and drink beer while I'm fishing, and if I'm feeling less lazy, I'll fly fish.

But the one thing I do remember my dad telling me about bass fishing is use red. Red hooks, have some red on bait...I just don't remember his reasoning why. Probably no help lol.
I'm basically PK's bitch

Link
Growing up in Iowa, did a lot of farm pond bass fishing. Lots of good memories. My family also went to Minnesota on vacation each summer where my dad was a big northern fisherman. Speed trolling, just not much fun as a 10-15 year old.

My son and I are going down to Tennessee later this month to take our first swing at brown trout fly fishing.

Sancho
Link
Originally posted by jmarter
Growing up in Iowa, did a lot of farm pond bass fishing. Lots of good memories. My family also went to Minnesota on vacation each summer where my dad was a big northern fisherman. Speed trolling, just not much fun as a 10-15 year old.

My son and I are going down to Tennessee later this month to take our first swing at brown trout fly fishing.

I have a buddy who moved to Carroll Iowa a few years back...He says the bass fishing is pretty damn good. Not sure where he fishes though
I'm basically PK's bitch

Coyote
Link
Originally posted by Rocdog21
I have a buddy who moved to Carroll Iowa a few years back...He says the bass fishing is pretty damn good. Not sure where he fishes though

Iowa has lots of good Bass spots... mostly because it's not a 'tourist fishing destination'. Completely opposite around here. If there's a 'heart' to Bass fishing it's home is around here. Lake Of The Ozarks, Lake Tanycomo, Bull Shoals lake, ect,ect, ect. And home of Bass Pro shop. We have decent trout fishing as well. Sturgeon is also popular as is Catfish. It's a crazy world down here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_KY2CGGzkw
Originally posted by DigitalDaggers
wipety-wipe-wipe

Link
Originally posted by Rocdog21
It's been awhile since I went bass fishing...Probably since I was a kid. I do a lot of trout fishing these days. Just like Corndog, I like to sit back and drink beer while I'm fishing, and if I'm feeling less lazy, I'll fly fish.

But the one thing I do remember my dad telling me about bass fishing is use red. Red hooks, have some red on bait...I just don't remember his reasoning why. Probably no help lol.

I'll give it a try, the hot color combo for us right now is a blue/black with a green/yellow plastic craw tail. Black/red has always been my go to color for musky bucktail and pike love it too

Link
The fishing for northern is a generational thing, I get pissed when I catch them unless they are 36" or bigger.

We went out this morning for 3 hours, 5 bass, 2 slimey pike. Too hot and humid to sit on a boat

Link
Originally posted by Theo Wizzago
Iowa has lots of good Bass spots... mostly because it's not a 'tourist fishing destination'. Completely opposite around here. If there's a 'heart' to Bass fishing it's home is around here. Lake Of The Ozarks, Lake Tanycomo, Bull Shoals lake, ect,ect, ect. And home of Bass Pro shop. We have decent trout fishing as well. Sturgeon is also popular as is Catfish. It's a crazy world down here.

Ive heard trout is "greasy" or oily

Sancho
Link

A little bit, but so is salmon
I'm basically PK's bitch

Link

fresh brook trout is the absolute best fish, in my opinion.
can take some work to get a meal, though, as if you are actually brook fishing, an 8 incher is a big one.
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
Page:

You are not logged in. Please login if you want to post a reply.