User Pass

Forum > FAQ's, Player Guides and Game Help > Run Very Short / Pass Very Short

Link
Anyone else use "Run Very Short" and "Pass Very Short" Playbook Sections to insert very specific plays?
ie:
Run Very Short as my "Off Tackle" plays; and
Pass Very Short as my "Screens" plays

This way I can be specific about when i use a screen pass ie: "Pass Very Short(Screen)" 100% of the time on 3rd and 11+ (for example) or an OT Play ie: "Run Very Short(Run OT)" 100% of the time on opponent Goal Line (for example).

It allows me to further define the run and pass game to more than run In/Out or Pass Short/Med/Long/Deep. It gives an extra dimension to both so I effectively have run In/Out/OT and Pass Short/Med/Long/Deep/Screen.

Thoughts?
HOLY GUACAMOLE!
Roosevelt's Rough Riders

Link
We did that (agerm and I) when we put Very short for some qb rollouts i think in rookie or sophomore.

Link
Yeah, we do that too. Keep the v.short plays for the highest completion % or lowest TFL % passes/runs.

Link
Always have a couple of "special" sections in the PB to directly control certain things whether screens, off tackle, PA passes, deep passes, sack prone passes, or whatever else. It is smart to do so when you only want them used a percentage of the time in specific situations.
Hold my fanny pack and watch this s***

Link
I usually use PVS for redzone offense tbh...

Link
Originally posted by Butler053
Anyone else use "Run Very Short" and "Pass Very Short" Playbook Sections to insert very specific plays?

I most certainly will next season. I have 2 HBs...one is a S* (Bo Jackson) and the other is a regular HB (Herschel Walker). In my "Run Very Short" section, I only have goalline plays. Walker is a pure power back and will be my goalline back. He is going to gold Power Through and Goalline Back (+30 to power running when they both fire). I will run very short 100% in the red zone on 1st/2nd down (to fire Goalline back) and < 2 yards of the 1st down (to fire Goalline back).
Decepticons, attack!
Edited by Cybertron on Jun 19, 2021 14:22:29

Link
Pretty much, all my run v short plays are off tackle and pass v short are screens.

I have off tackles and screens in my normal playcalling, but that way I can be sure to dial them up when I really want one.
aka - Atatakakunai
Edited by Raid on Jun 19, 2021 00:44:34

Link
Originally posted by Butler053
ie:
Run Very Short as my "Off Tackle" plays; and
Pass Very Short as my "Screens" plays

This way I can be specific about when i use a screen pass ie: "Pass Very Short(Screen)" 100% of the time on 3rd and 11+ (for example) or an OT Play ie: "Run Very Short(Run OT)" 100% of the time on opponent Goal Line (for example).

It allows me to further define the run and pass game to more than run In/Out or Pass Short/Med/Long/Deep. It gives an extra dimension to both so I effectively have run In/Out/OT and Pass Short/Med/Long/Deep/Screen.

Thoughts?

Of course. Or ...

You can use Run Very Short as a supplement to Run Inside as it has the same restrictions. This way, you can run all 6 gaps across multiple formations. Currently, I use 5. That's 30 plays. I use Run Very Short as the Weak Side ones (Dives, Slams, Off Tackle) and Run Inside as the Strong side versions.

This allows me to attack different LBs as the primary tackler on my Power HB by shifting my Tactics selection. Baseline is 50/50 but I can change it up easily if I want.

Whatever the Play Diversity Bonus is, I'm trying.

I'm at 30 Inside/ 10 Outside / 18 Passes across the 5 formations.
Living rent-free in TxSteve's head since at least July 12, 2016.
Edited by Xars on Jun 19, 2021 03:13:58

Link
These are some great suggestions. I will probably use Pass Deep for screens. I don't use Pass Deep right now anyway.
Decepticons, attack!

Link
Originally posted by Cybertron
These are some great suggestions. I will probably use Pass Deep for screens. I don't use Pass Deep right now anyway.

I'll give you (and everyone) a tip:

Since not all the Screens work that well, you can "create" Screens by using regular passing plays where the HB goes to the flat and select the HB as the Primary Receiver. Add (even substitute) those plays with your Screen selection. You can still use the play in your normal Short/Med/Long Packages using the default (or TE or whatever) check down scheme and then create a version where the HB is targeted first as a "Screen" play.

Hence my Suggestion (Ask) for plays where the HB routes to the Weak side of 3WR TRIPS and 4WR TRIPS. You want plays where the HB attacks different areas so you can control the outlet/ screen to them. In addition to "designed" screens. Because some of the screens have major blocking issues.

Living rent-free in TxSteve's head since at least July 12, 2016.

Link
Yep, used to use Pass Short for only screens, and then later Play Action. I use Pass Deep for redzone plays, and another one for 3rd down passes

You are not logged in. Please login if you want to post a reply.